What is Feng Shui?
An ancient Chinese philosophy, Feng Shui, has once again become popular around the world. The idea of Feng Shui revolves around spatial orientation and arrangement, and how it can create balance and have an impact on our body, mind and spirit. You can create an environment with Feng Shui to create a positive impact on and in every aspect of your life from bedroom to bathroom, kitchen to office
Why is Feng Shui important for your workplace?
We spend a large portion of our time at the workplace. Working in a Feng Shui'ed office makes a huge difference to your work efficiency and relationships with your colleagues. Feng Shui can be used to create harmony and prevent office politics. With good Feng Shui in your office, coming to work everyday will no longer be a dreadful thing. Achieving success and promotion will also be easier.
Below are some easy to follow Feng Shui tips to assist you in creating the right atmosphere and environment in your office to attract career luck and prosperity to your life.
- Remove clutters
In Feng Shui, clutter stimulates negative energy. Unnecessary things from your desk can negatively influence your emotions at work. By clearing it away, positive energy can flow and you will regain strength, feel optimistic and energized.
- The shape of your desk
Productivity can be greatly influenced by the shape of your desk. Positive energy flows easily over tables with curves instead of the ones with hard corners. It is believed that a kidney shaped desk gives you the feeling of inner peace and will enhance your creativity.
- Feng Shui the position of your desk in your office
Your desk should be in the commanding position meaning it should be placed diagonally to the door, but never with your back facing it. By positioning it this way, it gives you the control over your space. Also, remember not to sit too near to the door as it puts you in a vulnerable position. Preferably place your desk in the North corner – which is the career luck sector based on Feng Shui Bagua formula.
- Direction of your office work desk
- You should sit facing one of your personal auspicious directions based on the Feng Shui Kua formula. Ideally face your ‘Sheng Chi’ (prosperity) or ‘Fu Wei’ (growth) direction. Ensure that you do not face the ‘Grand Duke Jupiter’ and the ‘Three Killings' direction, as they might bring you problems at your workplace. If you do, remedy it with a ‘Pi Xiu’.
- Position your work desk in a way that you are not directly facing anyone, to avoid being in a confrontational setting with your colleague. Also, ensure that you are not facing the toilet, staircase, or underneath an exposed beam.
- Avoid sitting facing a wall as you may have a harder time reaching promotions at work. If it is not possible to change the position of your desk, you can instead place a scenery painting in front of you, representing open space for opportunities.
- Have a solid wall behind you for good support known as a ‘靠山’ (kào shān; supporter) With a door or window behind you, you are vulnerable to many problems. If this cannot be prevented, cover the window with curtains, and place Feng Shui icons of business luck such as a tortoise, a dragon tortoise or a painting of a mountain (but never one with water present) behind you.
- Avoid sharp objects facing you
When you sit down at work, check to make sure that there are no sharp or pointed edges (e.g. from table) facing directly towards you. These are representations of “poison arrows” which emit dangerous ‘Shar Chi’, also known as ‘killing breath’. This harmful force can cause decline in career status and many other misfortunes. If this cannot be avoided, use a Clear Quartz Crystal or Fu Dogs figurines to disperse the negative energy.
- Place a rooster figurine near you
At workplaces, there is always a chance of meeting those who are trying to compete with you and bring you down. Therefore, it is beneficial to place a figurine of a Rooster on your work desk to counter office politicking and backstabbing.
- Grow plants
Plants represent wealth growth. Therefore, place a smooth-leaved plant in the corner of your office to help bring about positive flow of energy. Also, Green is believed to aid creativity. Place a small pot of plant in the Southeast sector in the office or the corner of your table to enhance your chances of personal growth and to attract good income luck.
- Place a cicada statue/pendant near you
Besides the rooster, you can also use the cicada to protect you from any undermining colleagues and conspiring competitors.
- Natural light
Natural light is always the best so move your desk closer to the window, but still facing the door. Too much bright light can cause irritability and may put you in a bad mood. Avoid fluorescent light and rather opt for warm natural light without a glare.
- Feng Shui products to generate income
Whether you work from home or office, you can manipulate your space to have the best possible effect on your income. According to the Feng Shui Bagua formula, the area related to wealth is situated in the South East. Therefore this area should be decorated with Feng Shui wealth symbols such as a ‘wealth ship’ or a ‘wealth pot’.