Dongzhi 冬至, directly translated as winter’s extreme is usually celebrated between December 21st to December 23rd. On this particular day, daytime is shorter than night and the Yin energy is at its peak. As the day goes by, there will be a transition of energies, Yang energy will slowly increase and more positive energy will begin to flow.
Traditionally, the Dongzhi festival is celebrated by feasting on rice ball desserts known as Tang Yuan (汤圆). It represents unity, reunion and harmony which is why it is encouraged to celebrate Dongzhi with family members so as to improve the harmony amongst each other.
There is an old saying that goes, "The winter solstice is as important as the new year." 冬至大如年 When the yang energy rises and the heaven and earth magnetic field becomes stronger, wealth, blessings, good luck will come as promised. Your behavior during the winter solstice day is crucial as one wrong step could affect your fortune throughout the next year.
Those who are facing Fan Tai Sui in 2021 (Ox, Sheep, Dog & Dragon) and in 2022 (Tiger, Monkey, Snake & pig) can seize this day to enhance their luck. Here are some Dos and Don’ts during the Winter Solstice Festival.
- Participate in benevolent acts - Make smoke offerings, donate rice to the less fortunate , participate in pujas, recite scriptures and mantras. Give offerings to the monks and pray for safety and prosperity in the coming year.
- Worship Ancestors - Offer Tangyuans, place it on the ancestral alter and pray for blessings for the future generations.
- Wear Auspicious colours - Wear red underwear, clothes or accessories to increase luck.
- Do not get angry or jealous of others. One must keep calm at all times during the Dongzhi festival.
- Recite the potent mantra Om Mani Padme Hum (六字真言) to remain calm and peaceful.
- Buy new shoes & socks - Gift your elders new shoes and socks to improve family bonds and help’s one luck run smoothly as Dongzhi is also known as Respect for the Elderly Festival (敬老節).